Why I Cannot Shut Up About Kian Delos Santos Killing

I am presently under contract as an executive assistant with the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS), a government unit tasked by the President to protect media workers and push for the resolution of violent crimes perpetrated on them. 

I volunteered and joined the PTFoMS because I believe that in fulfilling its mission of protecting media workers from violence, they could more fearlessly expose corruption and criminality -- two things that this administration has vowed to wage war on.

Thing is, while PTFoMS is supposed to focus only on media workers, I also believe that the state should protect everyone from violence -- even suspected criminals.

Why? Because everyone is innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.



People can rant and rave all they want against the principles of presumed innocence and the right to due process, but all those who ignore these principles will be held accountable for their actions. Unless, of course, you are the president and enjoy immunity from suit during your term.

Your call, chief. Tell me how it works out for you and maybe I'll write a blog post about it.

Am I risking my employment by showing my outrage over the killing of Kian Delos Santos and appearing to go against the opinions of some of the President's supporters? 

Perhaps I am, but then again, I cannot stand with any one who espouses violence as a solution to anything.

As far as I understand, violence can only be justified under very specific circumstances:

1. If it is done to save another's life (one's one or someone else's)
2. If a court of law metes it out as punishment in accordance with law
3. If it is done during a time of war to protect one's country from aggression




Why I Cannot Shut Up About Kian Delos Santos Killing Why I Cannot Shut Up About Kian Delos Santos Killing Reviewed by PRF on 8:38 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

ads 728x90
Powered by Blogger.